The Qualcomm Tricorder X PRIZE was launched at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas merely two months ago and the competition is already off to an inspiring start! We have received over 140 “Intent to Compete” forms from teams all across the world and more submissions are continually rolling in every week. The popularity of the competition so far goes to show how many organizations are targeting personalized mobile health solutions and how relevant this competition is to the industry. Clearly this is the right time and space for innovation.
Since the competition’s debut, we’ve been busy drafting the Competition Guidelines, which will include the following information:
- Registration details
- Eligibility (who can participate)
- Competition structure: Qualifying and Final Rounds
- Categories of diseases to be diagnosed
The plan is to post the Competition Guidelines on the website shortly. In the meantime, here’s a snapshot of the teams who intend to compete:
- 22 countries represented (all continents represented except Antarctica!)
- 21 U.S. states
- 11 universities/student teams
- Two Fortune 500 companies
- 44% of teams are based outside of the U.S.
These numbers will change as we expect a lot of teams to partner and collaborate during the course of the competition. We highly encourage small teams and individuals to sign up—you may end up finding a perfect complement to your expertise on another team!